Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jesus = Our Knight in Shining Armor & POINTS

Well, Michelle, you are right, we all struggle. And, although I'm sorry that you are experiencing these questions, it is refreshing to know that you (someone I admire as strong, hard-working and diligent to teach your children God's ways) struggle and I love how open you are with it.

I know you know this verse, but remember that the Bible says:

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:11-13

You know how Pastor Steve has talked about the different events and warnings God puts in the path of a Christian in order to ensure that she finishes the "race"? Maybe this is the Holy Spirit giving you a warning nudge. Prayer, fasting and meditating on God's Word might make all this clearer for you. Maybe God has some big stuff in store for you and He's wanting you to get ready!! I have soooo felt that in my heart this past year for myself and my own family. Take courage, dear friend. I am excited to see what God's going to do! Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

I also love how Pastor Steve was talking last week about how we are a part of a story. (Yes, my English Lit background gets me juiced about that idea). You are right, if we aren't on board with God's story, our lives can feel very meaningless. But when I think about how we can have an exciting role in God's story through whatever means we are called, I get sooo pumped up! My role right now as a mother is where God has me and I pray that He helps me nurture and mold these kids into a warrior and princesses for Him! I love that idea and reminding myself of it in the midst of a chaotic day gets me through. The days I forget my main goal are tough days. I think that is why it really is important (ahem, are you listening, ERIN) to be in the Word!

As far as Weight Watchers - I have the point guide so if you let me know the calories, grams of fiber and grams of fat per serving I can quickly tell you how many points a particular food has.

I'll give you some of the info on the points system that my book has. (It is copyright 2002, I think the program has changed slightly since then, but I am sure it is similar).

Daily Points Range
  1. Current Weight 150-174 pounds: Daily Points Range 20-25
  2. 175-199 pounds: Daily Points Range 22-27
  3. 200-224 pounds: Daily Points Range 24-29

Some tips from the guide:

  1. "Be sure you always use at least the minimum number of Points in your Range. That way you're sure to get enough food to keep your metabolism fueled while losing weight at a safe rate.
  2. Periodically, check to see if your Daily Points Range has changed. Why? As you lose weight, your body needs fewer Points.
  3. You can save Points, too! Points not used one day can be 'banked' for another... Calculate the number of Points you used for the day. Subtract that number from the top of your Daily Points Range and add that amount to your 'bank'. 'Banked' Points can come in handy to use for special occasions or for those times when you simply don't have enough Points in your Daily Points Range to get through the day. Limit yourself to using no more than 10 'banked' Points per day. 'Banked' Points should be used in the week they are earned." (7)

Finally, here is a recipe that is actually really good for Garden Vegetable Soup. It makes 4 servings (about 1 cup each), and has 0 points per serving!

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups fat-free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)

1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage

1/2 cup green beans

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup diced zucchini

  1. In large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute the carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or unil beans are tender.
  3. Stire in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

Okay, now someone better try this recipe because my fingers hurt from typing it!!

Later,

Erin

P.S. Let me know if you want more WW info, and I will add more stuff next time.

No comments: