Thursday, April 24, 2008

Some things are okay to be immoderate about!

As a woman who has been extreme from time to time (ahem!), I like to think about things that are okay to have or do in excess. I don't have to "control myself" in those areas. I can even pray and ask God for even more! That's why I loved Day 5 and how she wrote, "Become immoderate in our love for God so we can become moderate in our love for his gifts." There is no limit, no excess, on how much we can love God. I also like thinking about this with regard to the fruit of the spirit - the Bible says there is no law limiting how much fruit we can produce. We can be big juicy fruit trees of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and (ahem, again) self-control. I can practice those things as much as I want and no one will be disappointed.

To that end, I pray for abundant self-control as I continue to fast until dinner. I pray that I will feast on the Psalms today and learn to be filled up by his Word.

Missed you last night Sam. Hope all is well. Are you fasting today? Call me throughout the day if you are needing a little support. I'm going to need it I know.

I apologize if I'm acting like a baby about fasting. I'm sure once I do it, I will see that I lived through it. Never succeeding at it, it just seems slightly daunting. I might post a couple more times as I get through this first day of fasting.

Love,
Erin

P.S. I figure as long as we all have finished through the first week by tonight, that will put us on the start of the next week by Friday. I like that there are 5 days per week so we can "catch up" if we need to.

No comments: